Project management has various steps to keep the project running smoothly. Project reporting sample is one of these steps which mean providing an overview of the project that carries all the critical information of the project. Reporting project is an important tool for project managers because through a project report they can look into the happenings of the project as well as keep an eye on the team. As an organization or business grows there is greater need of constant checking on things. Project reporting is a formal way to communicate throughout the project. Moreover, there are different duration for the reporting, the project manager decides the interval between the reports. Project reporting keeps you updated about the changing scope, budget matters, task status and timelines. Other than the above mentioned traits of project reporting sample it has one unique feature that keeps the stakeholder involved in the project.
Every project has relevant stakeholders on board and all of them have different impact and expectations towards a project. So, the project reporting deals with the expectations of the stakeholder by constantly keeping them in loop through the project reports.
Benefits of Project reporting:
Project reports are undeniably a value asset for both the project managers and the team. Some notable benefits of project reporting are mentioned below;
- With the help of these reports you can track the current status or progress of the project.
- Early identification of the risk with the help of back and forth reporting
- An easy way to look over the budget
- Better visibility of the project
- Constant reporting keeps the team motivated to perform better
- Improved performances
- Better control on the project
- Project reports are also a learning material about the project
Read More: How to write Project Plan
How to write a project report?
Project reporting is not as difficult as it looks. If you are planning to write a project report follow these steps;
- Project reports are not always expected to be lengthy, the less the better. Share all the information precisely, only add the details that a stakeholder might be interested to know about the project. Right the report in bullets because through bullets it is easier to pass the information. By putting all the information in the form of a paragraph that will not give a clear insight of the project.
- Always right according to your target audience. Not all the people have the same level of understanding so avoid technical details otherwise the reader will lose interest.
- It is always a wise option to give the context before getting to the point. Instead of directly getting to the conclusion, give the reason and the impact of it also highlight if any possible actions can be taken to avoid a situation.
- Give a clear update on the task and their status because stakeholders are much interested to know about the progress of the project and the team’s performances.
- Use project management tools to improve the visual appeal of the project report.
What is the project status report template?
Project reports are of different categories but the most commonly used are project status reports. It is an important document of a project which has almost all the information regarding the progress of the project. Not only it keeps you updated about the progress of the project but also provides details related to the project which are required to take further decisions and steps in the project because everything in a project is related to one and other. Project managers use these status reports to design the changes if required on any step of the project. When all the detailed information is provided to the project manager she/he can justify the actions in a better way.
Moreover, the project manager gets an edge for the communication with the stakeholder. Reasonable communication with the stakeholder is important to win the confidence of the stakeholder in the team working on a project.
The contents of the status report may vary according to the subject of the report. But some elements are common in most of the project status report and are listed;
- Project data- Project title and report name is clearly mentioned on the status report. Also, the project manager name who has conducted the report is also recorded.
- Summary- Always add a short description that covers all the aspects of the project and provides the reader enough information to easily comprehend the details which are mentioned further. Summary includes an update on the progress and the current status of the schedule, scope, task completion status and the budget. Also, highlight the expected results and upcoming events of the project.
- Actual progress vs planned progress- There can always be some variation between these two. But it is good to compare the status percentages, milestones and estimated budget.
- Risks and issues- Add the description of potential risks and ways to encounter them. By providing the corrective actions and strategies will show your better grip over the project.
- Upcoming steps- Future plan of action and the team member responsible for particular milestones and the schedule of tasks as well as deliverables.
Template for Project Progress Reporting
Different templates are available for project progress reporting. Project managers according to their choice and requirement of the project select the best one. One template that is widely used for the progress reporting is mentioned below;
Project Portfolio Dashboard
Project Portfolio dashboard is a widely used tool in project management with a unique outlook. Portfolio status report is a one page report which has some graphical tools which gives the information regarding the status of different things in a project. The portfolio report is used for the executive committee of the project which includes sponsors, managers, stakeholders and other officers. The project portfolio status report highlights only some vitals of the project. The column heading is the report is initiatives, accountable team members, progress or status, impact, importance of it. Progress and impact can be color coded; each color has its distinct meaning.
Types of Project Reporting Template:
There are different types of reports that can be part of a project. Each report has a different pattern according to the requirement. Commonly used reports are status reports, risk reports, board reports, resource reports and a few others. They vary from project to project because demands are different. Project reports of 2 projects of different types are mentioned below;
Construction project Reporting
A construction project has so much to do. And for this purpose there is constant planning and scheduling. Different areas of a project require reporting which has their own distinct features. Reports are made to present in front of stakeholders, contractors and other parties involved. Always make sure the reporting is transparent and accurate. Clearly define the objectives of the construction project. Keep the reporting layout simple with a proper timeline. Distribute the work, define roles and responsibilities.
IT Project Reporting
IT projects have a whole different perspective. An IT project report has an executive summary which details the foundation of the project. A comprehensive report has project description and purpose. The project report covers the overall status of the project, other than that risk, budget, and schedule status is added. Scope changes are always an important part of a report. Moreover, recent accomplishments are added to keep up with the progress of the project.